An integral component of the Igaware Linux Small Business Server has always been Samba. Samba provides file and print services for various Microsoft Windows clients and can integrate with a Windows Server domain, either as a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or as a domain member. It can also be part of an Active Directory domain.
Version 4 of Samba goes even further delivering Active Directory Domain Controller compatibility, including;
- Group Policy (deploy software, configure Windows clients, run startup/logon scripts etc)
- Dynamic DNS (remote clients can update the DNS server)
- Single Sign on (just like an ADDC you can authenticate users and use this for SSO)
- LDAP (you’ve got a full AD compatible LDAP schema and changes can replicate between DCs)
- Can be administered using default Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools.
We aim to have Samba 4 rolled out to Igaware Linux Small Business Server customers in the next couple of weeks.